Facebook debates can sometimes turn into good blog posts. This is one.
A liberal friend posted a picture of Obama/Biden with the following caption: “If you really want change, give us a Congress.” I quickly pointed out the Democrats enjoyed a majority in both chambers for the first 2 years of Obama’s term. The back and forth continued with my friend-foe citing things such as the majority being made up of too many blue-dogs and me retorting that these are just excuses.
Finally, I asked why Clinton was able to get things done without a majority but Obama cannot. The answer given was, “Clinton was dealing with Republicans. These guys are Fascists.”
To this I quipped, “another excuse”, but my friend insisted this was a legitimate fact by posting a link to a definition of ‘fascism’ from Rense.com: http://rense.com/general37/char.htm . Now, I’ve never heard of Rense.com com , so I took a look, crafted the following response:
There is a divide between our thinking I fear can never be rectified. I have a few links of my own to share showing how Democrats fit the Rense.com bullet points of Fascism very nicely–and I didn’t even have to go to Fox News to get them. I doubt you will agree, but it may give you another perspective.
1. Rampant Sexism – Obama appointee Janet Napolitano has her hands full with accusations of running the Department of Homeland Security like a female-run frat house with favoritism towards her female friends:
2. Controlled Mass Media – By a 5-1 margin, people believe Obama has the mass media in his pocket. Obama is the undisputed mass-media-darling:
3. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption – Obama favorites received a vast majority of stimulus cash, regardless if it was a good bet or not. For example: Solyndra (lost hundreds of millions), Pfizer & PhRMA (ran pro-Obamacare ads in return for favorable BigPharm regs), First Solar (received money to buy its own products), NRG Energy (a Harry Reid favorite), etc:
4. More Corruption – In Obama’s own Democratically controlled political home state of Illinois, 4 Governors in as many decades have been put in jail:
5. Scapegoats – Obama reigns supreme in the ability to point the finger away from his own responsibility in matters of leadership. He has blamed everyone and everything from Wall Street, the EU, Japan, Arab Spring, the wealthy, big oil, oil speculators to GW Bush. His present favorite scapegoat is obstructionist Republicans. The Democratically controlled Senate has not passed a budget in four years. The President’s budget was such a joke it wasn’t taken seriously by anyone and was voted down 97-0 in that Democratic Senate. That was not Republican Obstructionism.
In an attempt to find some common ground, hopefully you can agree with this:
Let’s be honest. Neither party is immune to these kinds of mud-slinging accusations. Few, if any, of our current prominent leaders got where they are without bending a few rules. I don’t like it any more than you, but this is the losing hand we the people have been dealt.
I just want to see Washington do its job! Not the job that raises campaign funds, increases personal popularity, divides along racial lines, socio-economic lines or the job that gets them re-elected…no, I want them to do the job outlined in our founding documents, chiefly, the Constitution.
If we really want change, we have to get rid of career politicians altogether.
[UPDATE]: This post was revised several times after publication as it was errantly published while still in ‘draft’. The most substantive edit was the removal of a claim that all recently jailed Illinois governors were Democrats.